Property Easement on a Shared Driveway

A common type of property easement is when two neighboring properties have a shared driveway. Typically,each owner owns part of the driveway and has the legal right to use the entire driveway to drive their cars to and from their garages or parking areas at the rear of their properties. The other possibility may be that one owner owns the entire driveway, and the other neighbor has the right to use it for ingress (entering) and egress (exiting) purposes only. The easement prevents the parties from prohibiting the other from using the driveway. The easement should include the purpose, the legal description and boundaries. Generally, easements are recorded with the appropriate county office in the county where the property is located in case there is a claim against the property. Easements are important documents and should be drafted by a real estate attorney.

Property Title Report

When you purchase a house with a shared driveway, don't assume that you have the right to use the driveway. You should read the titlereport and property easement agreement carefully to make sure you understand your ownership rights and responsibilities including repair and maintenance of the driveway. It is also a good idea to order a property survey so you can determine your property boundaries and the location of the easement or any othereasementsorencroachments, such as neighbor's fences, etc. You may want to have yourreal estate attorney review the documents as well.

Disputes Arising as a Result of a Shared Driveway

Occasionally disputes may arise with the other neighbor over the use of the shared driveway. Common disputes may include:

  • Oneneighbor or their guests routinely park in the driveway blocking the other neighbor from entering or leaving
  • Children's toys or bicycles are blocking the driveway
  • Failing to share the costs of repair and maintenance ofthe driveway
  • Neighbor puts up a fence

It is always best to try and resolve the dispute in a friendly manner since you both need access to the driveway, and you live next door to each other. However, if you cannot resolve thedispute, sometimesit is necessary tofile a lawsuit and let the courtresolve the matter. Yourattorney can help you negotiate with your neighbor and represent you in court.

Consult with an Attorney

If you are purchasing a home with a shared driveway or have any questions regarding an existing shared driveway easement agreement, it is recommended that you consult with a real estate attorney. The attorney can answer your questions. The attorney can also assist you with any disputes that may arise regarding the easement.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Real Estate attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you